Common Household Items That Are Highly Flammable


Common Household Items That Are Highly Flammable

Fires are an ever-present threat in homes. They are often caused by a mixture of flammable materials that can ignite easily and quickly spread to different parts of a house. Common items such as rubbing alcohol, aerosol cans and hair sprays are all highly flammable. By understanding the nature of these products and taking a few precautions, you can prevent your home from becoming a fire hazard.

1. Rubbing Alcohol

Rubbing alcohol is a common and versatile household item that can clean, disinfect and polish just about anything. But it’s also flammable and can cause serious fire hazards. According to the Spartanburg Fire Marshal, a 12-year-old preteen recently tried what is known as the “rubbing alcohol challenge.” The fire marshal says it’s unclear what the child was trying to accomplish, but all signs point to a dangerous social media trend that’s picking up steam on social media. This is because rubbing alcohol is highly flammable and can burn up to 1,000 degrees when it gets lit on fire. This makes it one of the most flammable household liquids.

2. Aerosol Cans

An aerosol can is a small, steel or aluminum container that seals its contents under pressure. This pressure is designed to prevent unwanted release of the contents to the environment. When this pressure is exceeded, the can may depressurize or burst. This can be caused by a number of factors, such as punctures, faulty valves, excessive temperatures and corrosion. Aerosol cans are used to dispense a range of products, including paints, cleaners, solvents and pesticides. These products are often highly flammable and can cause severe injuries and property damage in the event of an accident or fire. The most common risk to workers is that the can will explode, burning them and showering them with shrapnel. This is particularly dangerous if the cans are stored next to hot equipment, in cars or near hot workbenches.

3. Disinfectant Sprays

Disinfectant sprays can be used to kill germs and bacteria on surfaces throughout the home. They can be especially helpful for areas like doors, table surfaces, doorknobs, bathroom shelves and toilet seats. In order to prevent the spread of infections, it’s important to disinfect surfaces frequently. The CDC recommends that you disinfect areas where people touch and eat regularly, including kitchen counters, tables, desks, doorknobs, light switches, handles and toilets. When selecting a disinfectant, make sure it’s safe for the surfaces you’re cleaning and that it doesn’t contain flammable chemicals. Check the label for information on the product’s flammability rating and storage instructions.

4. Dish Detergent

Dish soap, which contains a mix of surfactants, is used to cut oils and grease from dishes and pots. It also has dyes, scents, and rinsing agents. While a little extra caution is necessary when using dish detergent, it can be one of the most effective ways to kill germs and viruses on your dishes. Most dish soap is nonflammable, but it can burn if it’s very hot. It’s often used as a tool for fire-making, which is a fun and fascinating demonstration of scientific principles. But it can also cause skin irritations, and it’s not a good idea to use dish soap near fire sources.

5. Nail Polish

Nail polish is a cosmetic product that people use to enhance the appearance of their nails. It includes different chemical components and solvents that give it a liquid form and make it spread smoothly on the nails. The flammability of nail polish is an important safety concern because it can catch fire easily if exposed to heat or flame. It is therefore important to store it in a cool, dry place and away from other flammable products. Its flammability is mostly due to its active acetone base, which can ignite when exposed to a naked flame or spark. However, this ingredient loses most of its flammability once it dries.